Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Wednesday July 19, 1978



Today I woke up at 7:00. I goofed around until Dad woke up. We went to get bread but again they didn't have and gipfelis. It's been cloudy and rainy all day. But we reserved six gipfelis for tomorrow. We then ate breakfast. Dad and I went in the rain downtown, we mailed our postcards. Yesterday I wrote postcards to Joe, Brad and Bobby. We then got the Herald Tribune. We went to the Sport Center. We got a visitors card. We then hiked back up when I played Monopoly with Andrew. Andrew had a great Monopoly but I beat him. I had a cheap Monopoly. I then ate lunch. After lunch I read and tried to sleep. I couldn't sleep. I then played Monopoly with Dad and Andrew. Dad won but Andrew lost for the 7th straight time unofficialy. I then goofed around and read. Today's been a rather boring day because of the thick clouds and rain. I then hked up Terrassenweg with Mom and Dad. We returned at 5:00 when I read and ate at 6:00. Dad and I then washed the dishes. After that I read my book. I'm almost done with it. I went to be at 9:15.

Thursday July 20, 1978



Uncle Bill moved to Florida today

It's been five weeks since I started writing this journal. I woke up at 7:00 today. I then woke up Dad 7:10. The sky in the morning was so-so. We then got gipfelis. We saw fireworks. I can just wait. I'm going to spend a lot of money on fireworks. Then we went back and ate breakfast. We decided to go to Ober Gletcher, Pfingstegg. We decided not to go to Ober Gletcher. We started out at 10:00. We then hiked to Pfingstegg after hiking part of the Ober Gletcher. We then decided to go to Stieregg 1,000 feet above Pfingstegg. It was a rough climb. The path was marked and dotted red meaning only experienced mountain hikers and people that wear the right kind of shoe should go there. Going up just about one slip would be fatal. It was a dangerous hike. But we made it. Wehn we got there at 1:30 we had a little bit to eat and then came back down that was even worse and hard. We then hiked down to Grindelwald. We got there at 3:00. That was a good 5 hour hike. We then got 4 bottles of Citro and went back up to the apartment. I then rested. I then ate at 5:30. It's being to get all clouded up now. I doubt we will hike tomorrow but you can never tell. I was reading an article on the Russians. There has been great disagreement. The Americans and Russians have a war of the mouths. There like babies. If the Soviets do something the Americans don't like the Americans do something that the Russians don't like. Someday someone will press a red button and that will be it. I then set up the Monopoly game while Andrew and Dad washed the dishes. We played and Dad won again. He's just lucky. Andrew lost his 8th straight game. I went to bed at 9:30.

Friday July 21, 1978



Today I woke up at 8:00. Outside it was an ugly looking day. Dad and I went to the store and got bread. We then ate breakfast. After that we played Monopoly. Dad won again. Andrew was in last place. Andrew and I went to the little store. We went shopping around for fireworks. We wrote a list of what we wanted to get. When we added up the prices the cost was very high. About 65 francs. We then went back when Andrew and I played Monopoly. We had to have a stalemate deadline we had so much money. So before the deadline I traded. I think that was a mistake. I could have had more money. Meaning that I would have won. I then ate lunch in the middle of the game. Andrew set a new record for money with 230,000 Francs. We then went swimming at the sport center. They didn't have any badminton courts. But we went swimming. They have the weirdest system you have ever saw. We then came back at four while it was raining. It's too bad that we haven't had good weather lately. We hope to got to First tomorrow. I then read the patper and ate. After eating I washed the dishes and then played Monopoly. I lost because I made a stupid mistake. The game is 99% luck. But when it came to skill today I stunk. The standings are now Dad 5-4 at No 1. Andrew and 5-13 ending his 10 game losing streak. Me 8-10 losing 5 straight. I went to bed at 9:01.

Saturday July 22, 1978



Today I woke up at 7:15 and then got gipfelis with Dad. We ate at 8:00. We then took the chairlift to First. It was pretty cloudy up there. The ride takes 30 minutes. We then hiked to Gross Shidegg. It was an hour and a half hike. It was fairly easy. We then went to a lake in the middle of nowhere. We couldn't find the way in there. We finally did. We had even more trouble when we couldn't find the way out of that stupid example of a labyrinth. We then had to walk on cowpaths. It was not a path but if it was a path it was a heck of a path. We really were in a farmers pasture trying to get out. It was muddy. It was terrible. We finally found the way out. We came to a civilized path. We finally got on the right path and got to the apartment. We then hiked downtown where we got Citro and hiked back up. I then read the Herald Tribune. After that I played Monopoly with Andrew he won again. After that we ate. Andrew and Dad played Monopoly with me. Dad won, that's my sixth straight loss. I went to bed at 9:00.

Sunday July 23, 1978



Today I woke up at 6:10 and then woke up Dad we started hiking at 6:30. We went through Oberhaus to Bort. We saw the stationmaster go up to the station. We rested there until 7:45 when we hiked back down. We got back at 8:10. When we ate breakfast. Dad then went to church when Andrew and I played Monopoly. Andrew won again. When you lose a lot like I am you feel that it is not possible to win. I then went downtown to myself. I asked for a 126-20 film in German. However the guy at the counter knew that I spoke English. He said that he could understand what I said in German. I then went back up. I then ate a little lunch and I took a nap. I slept for two hours. I woke up at 4:00 when Mom and Dad came back from their little hike. I then looked at the Eiger to see if anyone was climbing. Last night Mom and Dad saw a light from the Eiger but it could possibly be the train light. I then ate at 6:00. After that I washed the dished took a bath and went to bed at 8:35.

No comments: