Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Thursday July 13, 1978



Today I woke up at 8:00 and read my book. I then ate breakfast. After that I read my book and was almost finished when I went with Dad. We went to a market. I took a couple of pictures. We then went home. I then finished my book. It was a good book. We then left the apartment for good. We took the subway to Gare de L'est and got our baggage unloaded. We then came back on a sardine packed subway. You couldn't breathe in that thing. We then went back to Chalet where we saw the Georges Pompidou Museum. The place was weird. Its hard to describe how freaky it is. One piece of art is just a couple of Campbell soup and Brill boxes. One painting was all splashy. We then went to eat. There was one place that was too expensive and nothing good. Then we went to another place where we ate hot dogs. French hot dogs are very long in a gigantic bun. With yucky cheese sauce. We then shopped around. We took the subway to Gare de L'est and got our baggage, caught the train. The train ride to Mulhouse had more stops. We stopped in Troyes, Chamont, Vesoul and Belfort. It really isn't a scenic ride. We then got in to Mulhouse at 11:00. We took a milk train to Basel at 12:00 French time. We then got the train to Delemont. The last one. We got out at Dornach. Walked home at went to bed at 12:00 ST; 1:00 FT.

Friday July 14, 1978 Dornach



I woke up at 9:00 today and ate 3 gipfelis. Bringing the total to 21 (unofficial). I then went back upstairs and packed for Grindelwald. I'm almost bringing everything. I will be there for 2 weeks. I then went to the film store with Dad to see if they could fix the camera. The guy said that the plastic was stretched and the camera was finished. We then look at another camera for 46 francs but it wasn't good enough for me. I'd rather have one that costs 66 or 84 francs. We then went to the train station where we got the Herald Tribune. Coming back we saw the Hispania express for the second time in the last week. We went home where I tortured Glob. I got my photos at the film place before we went to the train station. The photos I took were very good ones. My aerial views were good and others too. Yesterday we got a letter from Chief he said my telescope catalog had come and that Blitz is fine. We went to the Jura and ate. I wasn't very hungry so I hardly ate anything and was so full. After that I tried to take a nap but couldn't. At 2:00 I went with Dad and Andrew to have two pieces of luggage advanced. We then went to the film store and got a photograph to be developed that they forgot to develop. We then went back to the Jura where I ate some ice cream. I then watched the end of the Tour de France. After that I ate. When we finished eating I played soccer with Dad. I practiced on 1 on 1s. I've rarely done it but I need the practice. I then took a bath with the hose. It's a lot funner than a regular bath. Dad then fetched the superball that I lost at the Jura hotel. What happened was that I bounced it to Mom outside the Jura when I went to the left where it got stuck in a gutter. I went to bed at 9:10.

Saturday July 15, 1978 Grindelwald



Today I woke up at 6:30. I goofed around until 7:15 when I ate 2 gipfelis. I then went upstairs and goofed around until we went to the Dornach station. We went at 9:12 and then in Basel we took the train to Interlaken Ost. We stopped in that stupid station Liestal. That makes me Mad! . We stopped in a couple other stupid stations. We stopped in Olten, Bern, Thun, Spiez and Interlaken West. We then took the cog to Grindelwald. It was neat. It went up through the beautiful valleys. Dad and I looked for the apartment. It was a long tiring hike. The ascent was incrediburgable. Dad went down to get them while I stayed at the apartment. They came back in a cab. We then went shopping around after I took some photos of the Alps. The Jungfrau is crowded with clouds but one pretty mountain isn't. After shopping near us we went downtown and shopped there. Andrew and I had to hop through the windows because Dad didn't give us the key. Mom and Dad came home. Andrew and I then played monopoly. It was a good game when we went to the store to get some ice cream. I finally won the game just before dinner. That brings my won-lost record to 5-3. Andrew is 3-5. After a yummy dinner of noodles which is my favorite I played a monopoly game with Dad and Andrew. Dad eventually won the game. I think the game is a lot funner than with two people. I then went to be at 9:11.

Sunday July 16, 1978



Today I woke up at 6:20 and I looked at the mountains. There were the most beautiful mountains I've seen. I woke up Dad and we left. We hiked to Oberhaus. We took a lot of photos. You couldn't see a cloud in the sky. We then hiked to Bort and saw a huge anthill. The anthill was about a foot and a half wide and about a foot high. We then hiked back down the way we came. We came back at 8:30. Dad then went to church when Andrew and I played monopoly. Andrew won. We really have played a lot of monopoly games. I then took a photo of Andrew, Dad and Mom. Dad was smoking a cigar. He rarely smokes. Andrew and I went to get a hiking map. First they gave us a village map. We brough that back. Then they gave us a map of the mountains then we changed that map. Finally we got the right one. We came back and then I took a look nap. I woke up at 2:00 when the whole family went hiking. We went to Alfleu, Oberhaus and Mulhouse. It was a good 2.5 hour hike. I then came back and goofed around. I have a sore heel from walking. I then ate dinner. After dinner Dad, Andrew and I played Monopoly. I won. Monopoly is a very upsy-downsy game. That makes the standing Dad 1-1. Me 6-5. Andrew 4-7. I went to bed at 9:20.

Monday July 17, 1978



Today I woke up at 5:30. I just rested in bed until 6:00 when I woke up. We decided to go to Jungfraujoch. We packed up and left at 6:30 We then got to the train station. The train ride is one of the best in Europe. We got a discount because we took the first train up. The train ride usually cost $32.00 per person round trip 2nd class! We saved 33%. We took the train to Kleine Shideck when we got the train to Jungfraujoch. We got out at Eigerwand to look at the scenery. We were in the Eiger which is a very hard mountain to climb. Almost as hard as Everest. It was a beautiful view. The train goes through one huge tunnel built 100 years ago. The view from Jungfraujoch was beautiful. It was better than Gornegrat 2 years ago. I took 7 pictures. It was freezing. There were ice caves with pure, solid, slippery, ice. The place is 11,333 feet high. The highest I've ever been. We then came down at at 11:15. We arrived at Kleine Shideg at 12:15. We then hiked around. We ate a picnic lunch and then I got a close up of a cow. I took more photos and then we went back to the station where we took the 2:10 train back to Grindelwald. We got to Grindelwald at 3:00. When we got back Dad and Andrw carried up a case of beer and citro. I then rested my sore heel. I then played Monopoly with Dad and Andrew. I really was doing bad until I got a cheap Monopoly. Dad hit it so many times he lost. I got his properties. He had a good Monopoly so I eventually was beating Andrew when we ate at 6:00. After we ate I played Monopoly. I won. I then washed the dishes took a bath and went to bed at 8:45.



No comments: