Sunday, May 16, 2004

sunday night 10pm.

I spent Friday and Saturday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Friday was a work party, Saturday to run a gift shop for Canine Companions for Independence. On one trip to the restroom I saw some graphitti that read "In Wotan we trust." I thought it was fairly amusing coming from the track crowd. On Saturday we saw a fight break out in front of our shop. Two guys in jeans, no shirt and one with a bloody nose. About 20 law enforcement officers from 5 different departments descended on the scene. Both miscreants were hauled away in electric carts most likely ending up at the county jail.

I started reading "Middlesex", I think I'm going to enjoy this book. Part of it takes place in Asia Minor in 1922 as the forces of Kemal Ataturk are driving the Greeks out of modern day Turkey. I'd been to Izmir formerly Smyrna, back in 1988 but did not know much of its long history and nothing about the massacre that took place there in 1922. The book will soon move on to Detroit, a city I last visited in 1980.

No comments: