Wednesday, May 12, 2004

movie/book ideas.

Somehow I've got the idea in my head to do some sort of project revolving around pizza delivery. Just off the top of my head:

# quit your job and find work delivering pizzas. It could be one of those "embedded journalism" projects like when Ted Conover the writer became a prison guard at Sing-Sing to write "New Jack". I'd get a job delivering pizzas in Marin or Westchester counties so there'd be a social commentary about it. Low wage worker delivers pizzas to the rich. Along with the social economic aspect, I could research the history of delivery. How were things delivered in the mideaval ages? Who ordered the first delivery pizza?, who came up with the whole idea?
Why can't you order a pizza for delivery in Europe?
Also one could explore the science of delivery and the algorithms that are used to determine fastest delivery routes. Are two left turns and one right turn over 1 mile quicker than making 3 right turns in 1.2 miles. A "fantasy" table of contents would be

1. Delivery Daze: How I traded in my mousepad for the world of pizza delivery.
2. Using the method of least squares and Kalman filtering to approximate optimized delivery routes in suburban Atlanta.
3. John P. Domino, the man who launched 1000 pizzas.

I got other more fictional ideas as well but this is enough "outside of the box" thinking for now.

No comments: