Saturday, May 01, 2004

It's Saturday night and a bit rainy outside.
I went and took the dog out for a walk. We usually head out after dark and "patrol" the dark, sidewalk free streets of my neighborhood. Tonight as we headed south we saw an uncommon site for my area. It was a kids birthday party just ending so there were about 15 kids bouncing around in the driveway as mini-vans and SUVs were pulling up to get their children. One kid was literally bouncing on the driveway as he jumped up and down on a pogo stick. Other kids were pushing each other down the drive on a cart. One bunch almost ran into me and the hound as we strolled by.

There aren't many children in my area so the sight of so many in one driveway at once was suprising. I live within the bounds of a large urban school district so most people with kids live in the 'burbs. On my street there are only two school age children and I believe they attend parochial schools. In four years of living here I don't think I've met one person in the neighborhood who send their kids to public schools.

To change themes, I'm a big train buff and was checking out some of my favorite rail sites.
Erik's rail news is a good source of up to date rail information. Where I live there are no passenger trains to speak of so I must get by train fix through cyberspace. Swiss Gotthard Project Details the new Gotthard tunnel being built in Switzerland. It will go beneath the existing Gotthard tunnel and speed up transit times between northern and southern Europe.

No comments: