Monday, September 19, 2005

the night the lights went out in Georgia?



is that a song?

or do I have that confused with "Midnight Train to Georgia" and the "Night they drove old Dixie down"

Anyway, whenever a lightning storm strikes tht north side of Indianapolis the power will go out on my block before anyone else is effected.

As I saw the storm rolling in around 6:30 I started shutting off the TV, radio, and computer. I saw what was coming. Sure enough as I was heading downstairs to feed the cats the power went out. 10 seconds later, the power flickered back on, but I knew better we were going down. 20 seconds later I was in the basement greeted by the sounds of the perpetually miaowing felines and the sound of the UPS going off. We were power-free.

Across the street the power was on, a block to the east the power was on but on my little circuit the power was out. This always happens. I wish I knew someone at IPL who could explain this phenomenon. A few years ago we were without power for 2 days while the other side of the street was uneffected.

Immediately I swung into action. Having gone camping 2 weeks earlier and pondering the fate of New Orleans I set forth. Candles were blazing, lanterns set up and MRE's were distributed to all those in need. I think I saw Michael D Brown speeding down the street in a Suburban.

When my wife came home I quickly downed my dinner and sped off to the QuicMart and scored 5 bags of ice. I got home, frozen goods were iced down, ice was stockpiled in the basement freezer, MRE's were distributed again.

Suprisingly the power was restored around 8:20 pm. I was shocked, this is a record for the IPL crew on my little circuit.

So thus I am enable to blog and tell you my tale....

good night.

JCK

No comments: